Physics doesn’t lie so why is there so much heat and controversy generated by this debate? The science behind global warming has been developing for over 150 years and many climate scientists have spent much of their careers in investigating and trying to understand the physical processes involved and the implications for the future. If you are confused about the competing claims with respect to climate change, here is your chance to interact with some of the world experts in their fields from the ANU on the actual science associated with global warming.
Tues 5 March - Tues 9 April 2019, 6-8pm - $200
This short course is open to the public. It is hosted by the ANU Centre for Continuing Education. Please click on registration link below for more details.
Weather and climate basics - Clem Davis
- Why do we get weather?
- The difference between weather and climate
- How do we categorize climate and climate of Australia?
Climate drivers of Australia and the world and their impact - Emeritus Professor Janette Lindesay
- ENSO, IOD, SAM, monsoons, ocean currents
- Past climates: What can they tell us? - Associate Professor Nerilie Abrams
- The role of CO2 and other greenhouse gases: The evidence of climate change and dealing with the misconceptions - Emeritus Professor Janette Lindesay
- Micro climates. How do they affect us? - Margi Bohm
- Local climate change: What is happening in the Canberra region? - Clem Davis
- What are the likely future impacts on humans and ecosystems and how do we respond? Eg health, survival, fires, food security, infrastructure etc Mitigation, Adaptation - Professor Mark Howden
- Climate change and health - Dr Liz Hanna
- Present climate change in the broader earth system perspective - Emeritus Professor Will Steffen
- Impacts of climate change on developing countries - Associate Professor Jamie Pittock
- Economics of climate change - Dr Paul Burke
- Climate change and Island states: A negotiators perspective - Dr Ian Fry
This course will be presented by ANU academics who are experts in this field.
Links to ANU Presenters
- Professor Mark Howden http://climate.anu.edu.au/about-us/people/mark-howden
- Emeritus Professor Will Steffen https://researchers.anu.edu.au/researchers/steffen-wl
- Emeritus Professor Janette Lindesay https://researchers.anu.edu.au/researchers/lindesay-ja
- Associate Professor Jamie Pittock https://researchers.anu.edu.au/researchers/pittock-j
- Associate Professor Nerilie Abrams https://researchers.anu.edu.au/researchers/abram-nj
- Dr Paul Burke https://researchers.anu.edu.au/researchers/burke-pjx
- Dr Ian Fry https://fennerschool.anu.edu.au/research/researchers/dr-ian-fry
- Dr Liz Hanna https://researchers.anu.edu.au/researchers/hanna-e-l-g
- Clem Davis https://researchers.anu.edu.au/researchers/davis-cj