Prior to moving to academia I ran my own hospitality business in prime Sydney CBD location for 14 years. I joined the ANU in 2006 after completing my doctorate at UNSW in Marketing. I have taught in the areas of Marketing, Marketing Research, Marketing Strategy and Marketing Engineering at The Australian National University, The University of New South Wales, Sydney University, and AGSM.
Since 2008 my teaching and research have focused on sustainable enterprise - the role business plays in moving to sustainable systems, the challenges of becoming a sustainable business and how innovation in business models, product and service development, and market evolution drives the sustainable enterprise process.
My research and teaching interests now focus on Sustainability. I currently convene Corporate Sustainability (MGMT2001); Business and the Natural Environment (MGMT3101); Business & its Social Stakeholders (MGMT3102); Managing for Sustainability (MGMT7007); and Sustainable Marketing (MKTG2002); the latter being one of the first courses of its kind internationally.
I have led a student study tour to San Francisco and Silicon Valley in 2017 themed on sustainable enterprise - the aim was to expose students to the very latest advances in sustainability in business and policy, including, waste management, social entrepreneurship and innovation incubators and start-ups and much more.
I December 2018 I became a certified Foresight Practitioner through training at the Institute for the Future in Palo Alto California.
- Buttriss, G.J. (forthcoming). Organizational identity evolving: Developing a process model. EGOS Rotterdam, Netherlands, July
- Buttriss, G.J. and I.F. Wilkinson (forthcoming) Developing a Complex Adaptive Systems Models the Internationalisation Process. IMP Bordeaux, France September
- Buttriss, Gary J., and Ian F. Wilkinson. "Pinpointing the deeper structures, processes and mechanisms of change within interactional fields." Australasian Marketing Journal (AMJ) 22.1 (2014): 45-50.
- Harpley, S. and G.J. Buttriss 2013 Brokering in dynamic front-end innovation collaborations: A Process Approach. Fifth International Symposium on Process Organization Studies. Crete, Greece June 2013
- Wallace, A.S. and G.J. Buttriss. 2013 The power of negative brand messages: a case of angry customers in an online forum. Academy of Management Annual Conference, Liverpool, UK Sept 2013