This event is being organised and run by TEDxCanberra.
"Flatten the curve!" Our community's motto for dealing with the COVID-19 pandemic has shown what can be accomplished when we act with solidarity, determination and kindness.
Now, let's come together and use the same spirit to #JoinTheCountdown. Let's change climate change!
Over the month of July, TEDxCanberra has been inviting young Canberrans to pitch their ideas for solutions to the global climate crisis. Their challenge: to come up with compelling, viable ideas which can help create a safer, cleaner, fairer future for Canberra, Australia and the world.
At this event, the young Canberrans with the most passion and energy will present their ideas live on the TEDxCanberra stage. Their pitches will be accompanied by TEDxCanberra's renowned mix of inspiring talks and performances by the best of Canberra's talent, along with opportunities for audience networking and Q&A with the presenters.
Join TEDxCanberra on Hopin and Facebook Live from 5:30-7pm on 14 August 2020 for a magical evening all about 'ideas worth spreading'. Registration is FREE.
Speakers and Performers
TEDxCanberra have a brilliant group of young movers & shakers sharing their brilliant ideas on climate change on the TEDxCanberra virtual stage:
- Philip Caisip (Year 12): As I've grown, I have become more acutely aware of the effects of human activity on the planet…So, if you told me that there's a chance I can help fight back just by saying an idea on a big red dot, I would take that chance any day.
- Gemma Steele (Year 11): As well as gender and race equality, climate change action is something I am passionate about. Together, we are a part of a global movement to act against climate change.
- Isabelle Calder (Year 9): I want to make a difference to the world for current and future generations. I am thrilled to be given this opportunity to do a TEDx talk on my idea for biodegradable solar cells to help flatten the climate change curve.
- Max Murphy (Year 12): As we were born in the generation that will grow up and live throughout the climate crisis, it is our duty to ensure we can fix it for future generations.
Also joining them are Canberra's top thought leaders on climate change:
- Sophia Hamblin Wang, Chief Operating Officer of Mineral Carbonation International. A youth leader and sustainability advocate, Sophia will speak about the importance of diversity and young people's voices when it comes to tackling the climate crisis.
- Bec Colvin, social scientist and lecturer at the ANU Crawford School of Public Policy. Bec will discuss how communities can move the climate change discussion beyond politics, drawing on her extensive research into how people interact with each other when it comes to environmental issues.
And the amazing Liv Li, Canberra singer and The Voice contestant, who will stun us with her beautiful new singles.
About TED Countdown
The TEDxCanberraCountdown program supports TED Countdown, a global initiative to champion and accelerate solutions to the climate crisis, turning ideas into action.
This event is part of TEDxCanberra's run-up to a special celebration marking the global TED Countdown launch on October 10, 2020. Watch out for more details!